Friday, December 31, 2010

Success factors in the Energy Sector -especially for MBA/Engineers

From my two years in the consulting area for energy, I have occasionally tried to apply my limited experiences to advising fellow students/friends who might have questions/thoughts. While I certainly am no expert, this is better than nothing (assuming it's not nonsense).


The success factors in energy especially at bp/shell/something is a appreciation of learning from a system and understanding nuances and relationships, not being too radical unless necessary -especially being very "outwardly looking" slow or dumb. 


Sometimes, to to a layman, work at BP or Exxon as an engineer or business person is slow and all about risk mitigation and safety while doing your work but its bloody amazing when you step back and see the impact.

Some, myself included, do not (or sometimes did not) always have the patience/dedication to succeed in an environment like that - but for those that do, there is no sector that can appreciate this skill-set more.

1 comment:

Anu said...

Hello,
I am Anusha from India, and I saw your comments on Becca Ford's Blog on LGO. I completed my undergraduate degree in Instrumentation and Control from National Institute of Technology here and have been working with Siemens as an Automation Engineer for a year now. I just wanted to know if you applied for LGO, and how many years of experience would be approriate to apply for the program? I would highly appreciate if you could shed some light on it, and mail me your reply to balan.anusha@gmail.com.
Thanks
Anusha